The big question is: can you eat fish scales ? And in that case... are they good?
In some types of fish yes, such as mullet, since they are very rich in collagen. We can take advantage of the scales with different cooking and preparations: from fried to boiled and crushed to obtain the pure collagen that is so beneficial for our health.
How to make fried mullet flakes:
- This preparation is super simple and will give a touch of haute cuisine to our fish recipes. The first thing we should do is when we go to the fishmonger please ask the fishmonger not to remove the scales from our fish.
- Well, the second thing we must do is remove the scales from the mullet with a small knife in the direction of the counter-scale and without pressing too hard so as not to damage the meat of the fish. We will do this on top of a container where the scales will fall so we can recover them.
- We preheat a saucepan with sunflower oil to about 140 degrees, not too hot.
- We place the scales in a strainer that fits into the saucepan that we have placed to preheat the oil.
- We immerse the strainer with the scales in oil that we have preheated and leave it until the scales turn golden.
- Once golden, we spread them on absorbent paper to remove excess oil and season them with salt.
- And we would have the crunchy scales ready to eat.
Grilled mullet with its crispy scales
For this recipe we will ask the fishmonger to remove the loins of the mullet.
- We remove the spines that remain in the center of the loin so that when it comes to eating it it is more pleasant (we could do it with tweezers).
- We preheat a frying pan with a little oil.
- We season the fish loin and put it in the pan with the skin side down.
- When we see that the skin is golden, we carefully turn it over and allow a few seconds to finish cooking without it overcooking (this fish is delicious to eat rare).
- We take it out to our plate and finish with our crispy flakes on top. We will have a fantastic dish, simple and very tasty.